Lady Gaga’s Mental Health Essay Will Leave You Shocked & Inspired
“By the time you finish reading this, at least six people will have killed themselves around the world.”
That’s the opening line to Lady Gaga’s powerful speech on mental health.
She may be the voice behind Poker Face, but Lady Gaga is urging people living with a mental health illness not to hide behind their daily poker face and to reach out for help.
She’s teamed up with the director general of the World Health Organisation, Tedros Adhanom, to stop the silence around depression, anxiety, and other mental health illnesses.
Their words are powerful and moving but the statistics are terrifying.
Here are some key facts from the article:
- 800,000 people will kill themselves this year. That’s more than the population of Washington DC, Oslo or Cape Town.
- One in four of us will have to deal with a mental health condition at some point in our lives.
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death globally among 15-29 year olds and half of all mental illness beginning by the age of 14.
- At present, every nation in the world is a ‘developing’ country when it comes to mental health. Mental health currently receives less than 1% of global aid.
- Mental health conditions cost the world $2.5tn a year, a figure that is expected to balloon to $6tn by 2030 unless we take action.
So, what can we do?
Become part of a new movement.
You don’t have to be a pop-star or head of the World Health Organization to tackle this global issue.
Start by recognising the symptoms and learn how to offer support to loved ones living with a mental health illness.
Spread the word and help build communities that understand and act.
Join forces to call on governments to prioritise mental wellness.
It’s too serious of an illness to not talk about or neglect helpful services.
Talk. Talk to your mates, family, colleagues, neighbours and even the checkout chick.
You could save more lives than you think.
This is the start of a new movement, are you in?
Read Lady Gaga and Tedros Adhanom’s full essay here.